A while back I needed to implement fast minimum and maximum filters for images. I devised (what I thought was) a clever approximation scheme where the execution time is not dependent on the window size of the filter. But the method had some issues, and I looked at some other algorithms. In retrospect, the method I used seems foolish. At the time, I did not realise the obvious: a 1D filter could be applied to first the rows, and then the columns of an image, which makes the slow algorithm faster, or allows you to use one of the many published fast 1D algorithms.
I wanted to write down my gained knowledge, and started to work on a blog post. But soon it became quite long, so I decided to put it into a PDF document instead. You can download it below.