Google App Engine has many properties that makes it suitable for indie development. Two articles in Dev.Mag look at GAE for game development (Issue 24 and Issue 25). The first is an overview of Google App Engine, with some focus on games. The second is a tutorial that explains the implementation of “Guess a Number” on Google App Engine, for which you can download the code. For the tutorial you will need:
- Python runtime (http://www.python.org/download/).
- A Google App Engine account (http://appengine.google.com/).
- The Google App Engine SDK (http://code.google.com/appengine/downloads.html).
- The files for this tutorial (http://code-spot.googlecode.com/files/code-spot_0.1.zip).
- Your favourite web browser and general purpose code editor.